Army List for January 1900 - 2nd Lieutenant G W Crampton, Quarter-Master of the 2nd (The Weald of Kent) Volunteer Battalion
Noted events in his life were:
• Photograph: Earliest known photograph of George Crampton (The Ghost Photo).
• School: Bedford Grammar School: Bedford, Bedfordshire. 9
• Residence: Ireland, 1875.
• Residence: Cape Province, South Africa, 1900-1910.
• Award: Springbok Colours, 1903, Griqualand West, Kimberley, South Africa. 9 Played Rugby for the Springboks. His blazer has been framed and is held by Barry Jessop.
• Residence: Union of South Africa, 1910-1928.
• Travel: Arrival In England, Jun 1927, London, England. Arrived on the S.S. Remalla, P&O Australia via Cape Service.
• Residence: Union of South Africa, 1928-1946.
• Travel: Arrival In England, 28 Aug 1938, London, England. Arrived on the S.S. City of London, Ellerman & Bucknall S.S. Co. Ltd Beira & SA Ports via Madeira Line.
• Burial: West End Cemetery, Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa. 10 Grave location: Old Section, Gates 1&2, Den 01, Block S, Row D, Grave 13.
George married Mary Susan Norval, daughter of James Norval and Susan Helena Alexander, on 12 Oct 1904 in Christ Church, Colesburg, Cape Province, South Africa.1 11 (Mary Susan Norval was born on 10 Mar 1871 in Norvalspont, Cape Province, South Africa 6 11, christened on 31 Mar 1871 in Colesburg, Cape Province, South Africa, died on 5 May 1951 in Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa and was buried in West End Cemetery, Kimberley, Northern Cape, South Africa.)
CRAMPTON-ALEXANDER-On Oct. 12, at Christ Church, Colesberg, George Crampton, youngest son of the late Very Rev. John Fiennes Twisleton Crampton, Provost
1 "Marriages," South Africa Magazine transcribed by Ellen Stanton, 31 Dec 1904; (firstname.lastname@example.org : accessed 5 Jan 2012).
2 Personal knowledge of Agnes Sophia Denoon Rissik (née Duncan) (RIN. 437). Author of 'Letters to my Grandchildren' (published 1969); Original family tree drawn in 1943 and signed "To dear Aunt Mary with lots of love from Agnes (Aug 1943)". Aunt Mary is Mary Susan Crampton (née Norval) (RIN. 429). A later version of this family tree was included in Agnes Rissik's book "Letters to my Grandchildren" (published 1969).
Henry Thomas Crofton et al, The Crofton Memoirs, 1911 (Trinity College Dublin Library Collection
An account of JOHN CROFTON of Ballymerry, Co. Roscommon, Queen Elizabeth's (I) Escheator-General of Ireland and of His Ancestors and Descendants and other Bearing the Name.), Page 308.
Peter O'Donoghue Bluemantle Pursuivant, "College of Arms"; report to Ryan John Kriste, [STREET ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 14 December 2009; Research done on behalf of Ryan Kriste by the Bluemantle Pursuivant of the College of Arms (Queen Victoria Street, London EC4V 4BT - www.college-of-arms.gov.uk). The official repository of the coats of arms and pedigrees of English, Welsh, Northern Irish and Commonwealth families and their descendants.
5 Holy Trinity Aughrim (Aughrim, Co. Galway, Ireland), "Birth Records"; Aughrim Rectory, Ballinasloe.
6 Dr. D.F. Du Toit Malherbe (Emeritus-Professor, University of Pretoria), Stamregister van die Suid-Afrikaanse Volk - Family Register of the South African Nation, third (enlarged) ed. (Stellenbosch, Cape Province: Tegniek Bpk., Sep 1966), Pg. 11.
7 Holy Trinity Aughrim (Aughrim, Co. Galway, Ireland), "Baptism Records"; Aughrim Rectory, Ballinasloe.
8 Peter O'Donoghue Bluemantle Pursuivant, "College of Arms"; report to Ryan John Kriste, [STREET ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 14 December 2009.
9 Personal knowledge of Shirley Anne Jessop (née Lodder) (RIN. 669). Telephone interview with Ryan Kriste on 15 Mar 2011.
10 "Cemetery Records" (typescript, p. Pg. 147; West End Cemetery, Kimberley, South Africa. (Old Section, Gates 1 & 2), Cemetery Register 1933-1976. Repository: Africana Research Library , Kimberley (Africana@solplaatje.org.za).
11 Personal knowledge of Agnes Sophia Denoon Rissik (née Duncan) (RIN. 437). Author of 'Letters to my Grandchildren' (published 1969).
Please add your comments to the